DescriptionFlocabulary is a rapidly-growing edtech company with traction in more than 60,000 K-12 schools. We have proven our model and bootstrapped our way to significant revenue, and we’ve never lost sight of our mission to transform teaching and learning in K-12 schools by building a fun and engaging learning platform that inspires students of all backgrounds.
Flocabulary is seeking a Data Engineer in the Analytics Department to manage our data warehouse and data procedures.
You are an organized, detail oriented engineer with experience maintaining solid processes and data integrity. You are trusted as the ‘final set of eyes’ on data that is used to drive business practices. You love version control and idempotency of data transformation code. You are keen to document institutional knowledge so it can be referenced by all. You want to be a part of a company that is committed to inspiring and teaching young people.
- You’ll start by working with our ETL & test tool, then by improving and adding functionality to it.
- You’ll build and own summary tables that power dashboards, analytics, and ad-hoc reports.
- You’ll make sure the data we use every day is accurate, and be an advocate for clean and maintainable data structures. You’ll build tests to make sure this is the case, and that breaking changes to underlying data models are caught early.
- You should be an organizational guru. The work that you do will be used by many others within the company, so it should be neat, well documented and organized so that others can leverage the data.
- Here at Flocabulary no one works in a bubble. You should be comfortable engaging and collaborating with coworkers across the organization.
- You’ll propose changes to existing data models to enhance our analytic capability, with a sensitivity toward time and resource constraints of teams affected by breaking changes.
We believe in version control on our analytics platform, and all database tables are defined in code. We believe that good analytics help drive good business practices, and that the foundation is accurate data.
Our stack consists of:
- Data Warehouse: Redshift
- Webapp: React (JS) + Django (Python) + Heroku + MySQL/Postgres
- Visualization: Grow Analytics, D3
- ETL: in house, built on Celery Tasks
- Other Tools: Salesforce, Gainsight
- 1 year of data engineering experience, or backend software development experience
- Preferably with tools in our stack
- Clearly demonstrated organizational capacity & attention to detail
- Have you started something from scratch & kept it organized, or organized a messy situation?
- Superior organization & integrity - We want you to be very excited about organizing our data. Our team relies on correct, timely analysis and the best way to achieve that is with rock solid data integrity. Your attention to detail will be a multiplier on productivity for the Analytics team.
- Curiosity - We're not looking for any specific technical skills. Instead, we hire eager learners who will pick up any tool they need to get the job done. Having said that, if you're not curious about coding and SQL, this may not be the role for you.
- Excellent communication - We like to talk. We like to bat ideas around, brainstorm together, critique our work ruthlessly, and explain the rationale behind our decisions. We only hire people bold enough to make their case and humble enough to change their minds.
BenefitsSome benefits and perks of working at Flocabulary
- Competitive salary
- Fully paid medical, vision, and dental insurance for full time employees and employer contribution toward dependent care
- Employer paid Health Savings Account (HSA) to offset the deductible
- Flexible time off and parental leave policies
- Retirement savings plan (401k) with partial company match
- Health & wellness stipend
- Weekly company sponsored workouts by the water
- Quarterly team outings
- Dynamic office in Dumbo, Brooklyn (with views of the skyline and easy access to the waterfront)